Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have dismissed the reports that they are snubbing King Charles III’s 75th birthday party next month. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who moved to California after stepping back from their royal roles last year, said they have not received any invitation to the event in the United Kingdom.
A spokesperson for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told the Messenger that the Sunday Times, which claimed that Harry, 39, was “not making the trip” despite being invited, had “misreported” the story. “In response to U.K. media headlines, there has been no contact regarding an invitation to His Majesty’s upcoming birthday,” the spokesperson said. “It is disappointing the Sunday Times has misreported this story.”
Reporters has contacted Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’
s reps, as well as the Sunday Times and Buckingham Palace, for comment but has not heard back.
The birthday party, scheduled for Nov. 14, comes amid a strained relationship between Harry and his royal relatives, especially his father and his brother Prince William. Harry’s memoir Spare, which was released earlier this year, revealed his grievances with the monarchy and accused them of spreading negative stories about Meghan, 42, in the media. He also expressed his desire for reconciliation and accountability from his family, whom he said he did not recognize anymore. “Though I would like to have reconciliation, I would like accountability,” Harry said in a January interview with ITV. “I’ve managed to make peace over this time with a lot of things that have happened. But that doesn’t mean that I’m just gonna let it go.”
Harry has returned to the U.K. twice this year, once for his father’s coronation in May and once for the first anniversary of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II’s death in September. He was seen at Windsor Castle, where the late queen is buried, on both occasions.
“I love my father. I love my brother,” Harry told ITV. “I love my family.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s strained relationship with British Press
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s relationship with the media has been turbulent and tense, to say the least. The couple has faced intense and invasive media attention, especially in the British tabloids, which they have accused of spreading racist, sexist and false stories about them. They have also claimed that the royal family and the institution have not supported or protected them from the media harassment.
The couple has decided to step back from their royal duties and move to California in 2020, in order to have more freedom and privacy in their personal and professional lives. They have also pursued legal actions against some media outlets for breaching their privacy and copyright rights.
Visit our section Gossip Celebrities for more interesting stories.